Smoked Paprika Crispy Chickpeas w/ Lemon
Smoked paprika crispy chickpeas w/ lemon
- 1 15 oz can Chickpeas/Garbanzo
- 1 Lemon, zest & a squeeze of juice
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch red chili flakes, do not use if you do not like heat
- salt, to taste (I like to use a fine pink Himalayan)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Drain, rinse, & dry all of the chickpeas. I like to use flour sack towels, or paper towels to dry the chickpeas. Try to pat them dry so the skins don't come off too much, they will come off some though.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chickpeas, lemon zest, lemon juice, smoked paprika, red chili flakes, & salt to taste. For the lemon juice, just use a little squeeze & save the rest of the lemon for something else! You can even choose to add some more in, each time you toss the chickpeas while they are cooking
- Place Chickpeas on sheet tray with parchment paper, & place in the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 1-1 1/2 hours, tossing every 30 minutes (every 15 towards the end) until you achieve your desired crispiness. Remember the chickpeas will crisp up a bit more after you remove them from the oven. The amount of time usually depends of the amount of lemon juice added as well, so taste your chickpeas as you cook them.
- When your chickpeas are crispy remove from the oven, and let cool. Enjoy warm as a snack, or let them cool completely & place in a closed container in the pantry to enjoy later. I love these as a quick snack on the go, or over some greek yogurt w/some lemon juice, zest, & cilantro (even roasted sweet potato) for a play on granola. Depending how big of a batch I make, these never last longer then two days, but you can keep them in the pantry in a closed container (I love mason jars!) for up to a week.